Historical

Sidebar

The City of Clute's history began at the junction of the old Calvet and Eagle Island Plantations.  In 1881, the name Clute was adopted when both Plantations were bought by Soloman J. Clute, who later sold the property to his brother George, in 1886.  George was described "as a little Yankee from New York with a long, white beard."  In the early l940's, Clute began to prosper when the Dow Chemical Company and several large construction companies moved into the area.  In 1952, Clute incorporated into a town.


Abner Jackson Archaeological Site
FM 2004, Lake Jackson
(979) 297-1570

Brazoria Heritage Foundation Civic Center
Hwy 36, Brazoria
(979) 798-2273

Brazoria Community Historical Museum
Hwy 36, Brazoria
(979) 798-2076

Brazoria County Historical County Museum
100 East Cedar, Angleton
(979) 388-1208
Visit Website

Brazosport Museum of Natural Science Center for the Arts & Sciences
400 College Blvd, Clute
(979) 265-7831
Visit Website

Columbia Historical Museum
247 E. Brazos, West Columbia  
(979) 345-3921
Visit Website

East Columbia Historical District
Hwy 35, East Columbia
(979) 345-3921
Visit Website

Lake Jackson Historical Museum
249 Circle Way, Lake Jackson
(979) 297-1570
Visit Website

Quintana Beach Historical RV Park
5th Streeet & Burnett, Quintana Beach
(979) 233-1461

Stephen F. Austin Grave Site - Jones Creek
Stephen F. Austin Statue - Hwy 288, Angleton

Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historical Park
FM 2852, West Columbia
(979) 345-4656 
Visit Website

 

© Clute Visitors Bureau | All rights reserved | 1-888-GOCLUTE | Powered by ContentActive